Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The girl who was on fire

So I did it.  After a year of debating, I finally decided to read the Hunger Games.  My boyfriend promised that if I finished it by this weekend he would see the movie with me.  I read the book in about a week, and I have to say I was disappointed. Cue angry comments.  Maybe it was because everyone said how amazing it is I just judged it harshly, but I felt it didn't live up to the hype.  I felt a lot of it was cliche and forced.  But the stupid cliffhanger at the end makes me want to read the next one. Curses you Hunger Games!

Even though I wasn't a fan of the book, I'm still really excited to see the movie.  I tend to dislike popular books, but like them as movies, so we'll see.

So, in honor of seeing the movie this weekend, I broke down and did some Hunger Games nails.  I decided to go for recreating her nails from the opening ceremonies.  If you haven't read the book, or you forgot, Katniss gets her nail painted with flames, which contributes to her nick name, the girl who was on fire.


I started with Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Black Out.  Then I attempted flames using Sally Hansen Intsa-Dri in Cinna (oh look how ironic!) - Snap, Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Sun Kissed, and Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Golden-I.  I put a line of each color, and with a toothpick dragged it upwards to make the flamey lines. Essie Luxeffects in As Gold As It Gets reminds me of embers in a fire, so I added it on top for a more fiery effect.  Finally, I added an orange rhinestone on my ring finger for some extra bling.


I always saw cool nail art that i wanted to dry, but I never had gold to do it with.  After a lot of looking I found this one, but I wasn't too pleased with it in the bottle.  Anyway after using it today I completely changed my mind!  It is so shiny and bright and perfectly gold and metallic.

For my left hand I just swatched each color I used to make the flames on my right.


Here is what I used (sorry, I forgot to add the rhinestone color wheel):

Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Sun Kissed
Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in Cinna-Snap
Essie Luxefects in As Gold As It Gets
Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Black Out
Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Golden-I

Base coat: Nailtiques - Formula 2
Top coat: Seche Vite

Sadly, I heard that in the movie she doesn't have the  flame nails, so I'm pretty disappointed, I wanted to see how they were done in the movie.  What do you think of my take of Katniss' flame nails?  What did you think of the book and the movie?

Claws up!




 

17 comments:

  1. Cute design! I adore the hunger games, but there was no hype at all when I first read it. I keep meaning to do some HG nail art but never get round to it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely see what you mean about it being cliche, but practically everything is. There are no new ideas. Even Shakespeare took most of his ideas from history or previous writers. I liked the book though! Also, your fire nails are cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool nails, Jackie! I like that you did flames on one hand and different colors on the other!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the flames! I am currently reading the book right now, having a little trouble getting into it though. Not sure when I will see the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cool mani! I love how you used the dragging technique to make the flames, it looks awesome!! I LOVED the books but I can see how some people might not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! i think it looks fab! and I don't understand the hype around popular books too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your nails look amazing!! I loved the first 2 books, but was disappointed in the third. The thought the movie was good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome flames! That gold shimmer is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will be doing some 'Girl on Fire' Katniss nails soon too! I've been putting them on my wheel trying to recreate what i saw in my head BEFORE seeing all of the fabulous renditions others have done. Seeing others work is mixing with my image and it itsn't helping my creativeity! I don't want to copy...

    Anyhow, I feel ya. I read the first one and had a struggle about if I liked it or not. The feeling of being undecided lasted the majority of the book. By the end, I liked it. Then I read Catching Fire. Still ok with it. By the end of Mockingjay(which was last nights adventure until 5 this morning) the undecided feeling came back....Now I just don't know. But I do recommend reading the last two.

    I haven't seen the movie yet, but every preview I see I get all giddy and jumpy and want to go. xD

    /giant story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow with the typos in that comment. We'll ignore them, yes?

      Delete
  10. Oh my gosh, you did such a great job on the flame lines...really freaking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you did the flames!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow you have such a talent for painting nails
    i wish mine could look as awesome as yours!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...