Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me, Lets Throw a Party: My First Lippmann, Apothica Review, and Party of Five Glitters Comparison

Pardon the long title, but I have one busy post!  Let me take you back about a month an a half ago...

I was contacted by the lovely and amazing Maria, stating that she had chosen me to receive a $20 gift card to http://apothica.com/ (or any of the other affiliated online stores).  Apothica had let Maria choose any blogger to receive the gift card, and she so generously chose me!  Maria really is the sweetest, but here is where it got weird.

I was told I needed to provide my mailing address, email address and phone number in order to receive the card.  I was a little uncomfortable giving away this information, but I was told that since they were going to mail me the card I had to provide it, so I did.  Also, I had to agree that by accepting the gift card I had to write a blog post reviewing the process and the product I purchased. Fair enough.  Thus, you have this post.

Weird thing part 2 - after they had contacted me, they told me that Apothica already sponsors my blog, and they were not allowed to give me the card, and I was to choose another blogger to give it too.  However that is completely untrue, and luckily that was cleared up quick.  I had also let Maria in on what was going on, and the awesome person that she is, she was ready to put up a fight and stick up for me at the drop of a hat.  Thank you Maria!

Everything seemed to be going okay, and I was told I would get my card in 20 days.

30 days later...no card.  Of course this sent Maria off the deep end.  She is too nice.

I contacted them and I was told that there was some back up in processing and that I would get my card in about 10 days.  I knew Maria would make sure of that, she is a little scary when she's mad :-P

About a week later I got my gift card...in an EMAIL.  I was thankful it all went okay, but very confused since I was told they would send it to my home address.  I was kind of mad that I agreed to give away my address when I didn't need to. Bleh.  Though Maria was now very relieved.

Now now, what to do with said $20.  I had been determined from the beginning that I was going to use it to get me my first Deborah Lippmann.  I had spent this whole time looking up swatches and searching Apothica's website until I decided on the perfect one: Happy Birthday.  Unfortunately it was $18, so I had to spend $4 of my own money to cover the rest of the shipping costs.  However I'm going to chalk up getting a Lippmann for $4 as a win.

Finally it came in the mail! What a glorious day it was!  It was just last weekend, and ask my boyfriend, I was very excited.  In the box, there was my Lippmann, as well as 3 free samples, lotions and a shampoo. I am excited to try those out too.



Although I have about a million and 2 ideas for ways to wear this color, I decided for this post, I'll stick with the simple swatch to show how extremely beautiful this color is.

Happy Birthday is packed with silver, green, gold, pink, blue, and orange hex glitters, as well as smaller silver, blue, and green glitters, all in a clear base.  Seriously, jam packed!

I have read some places that people are saying Happy Birthday has a dupe, and her name is Party of Five Glitters, by Wet N Wild.  I actually have Po5 in my stash, so I almost didn't get Happy Birthday, but I am glad I did, since they are pretty different.


Po5 has blue, silver, pink. and green hex glitters with smaller green and red glitters, also in a jelly base.  While Happy Birthday is packed to the brim with glitter, Po5's glitters can swim around pretty freely.  Also as you can see, Po5 has a smaller variety of colors.

In order to best show these colors, I layered them over Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Black out.

(One coat Po5, One coat Happy Birthday, Two coats Po5, Two Coats Happy Birthday)

Application of Po5 was annoying.  It was difficult to get any glitter to stay on my nail. I had to do some serious fishing and placing.  The first "coat" I applied didn't leave any glitter on my nail.  As you can see, one coat of Happy Birthday came out perfect.  Got a lot of glitters and didn't need to place them.  Two coats of Po5 is comparable to one of Happy Birthday.  This is where I can see that they are pretty close, however, not dupes. Finally two coats of Happy Birthday = amazingness!  A bed of glitter.  With some placement, I wouldn't have even needed to layer it over anything.  Its bright and fun and just amazing.  Seriously, no words to describe it.

To finishes off this comparison, and just for fun, I decided to layer on coat of Po5 over one coat of Happy Birthday:

I would have to say, of all the ways I wore it, this would be my favorite.  The combination of all the kinds of glitters from both polishes come together beautifully, and the amount of glitter is just perfect, not too much or too little.  This is how I did the nails on my left hand.

But to finish off, I added some layers of each to all my fingers, for a hodge podge of glitter and colors and fun!

Can I just say I am loving this square bottle.


Topped off with Seche Vite.

What do you think of Happy Birthday and Party of Five Glitters? Do you have either of these colors?  

Claws up!


28 comments:

  1. Happy belated Birthday! So jealous of your DL polish, I still havent gotten myself to purchase one even though I'm dying for Candy Shop and Forget You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, but my birthday was in november :-P ooh i love candy shop! they are amazing, though not worth $18 i think. still an amazing thing to have

      Delete
  2. Awesome nail polish! The colors are so fun and crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it took a while but it finally got sorted out! i love how it looks on you and it makes me oh so happy that you like the polish <3 you're awesome!! and i couldn't picked someone better for the gift card :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww thank you! i love it! thank you sooooo much for choosing me <3

      Delete
  4. OOoh I am so jealousssss, Happy Birthday looks so awesome!!! I recently got Po5 but I haven't actually tried it out yet! Great comparison, Happy Birthday definitely looks like it applies better, I want, I want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! Po5 is very nice, but nothing can beat a $18 bottle of polish :-P

      Delete
  5. Amazing Blog! I love the Polish as well! think I'll stack up on it too! nataliece.blogspot.com <3!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a weird experience with apothica, I'm glad it got straightened out though! Good choice with Happy Birthday, definitely a classic glitter to have in your collectioN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know, thank you! yes, i love it, so happy i got it

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday looks amazing! Great choice~ I love DL polishes. I only have 2 myself and I adore them. Gorgeous job on this mani! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy birthday is really amazing :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome that you got chosen for the apothica card! Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. very beautiful the glitter on nails :) I'm following

    Check my blog and follow me if you like :)

    xx

    www.sickbytrend.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay awesome boyfriend!!!! I think DL stands on its own -- like Highlander, in the end there can be only one, and girl's got this stuff nailed (har har). It looks great on you, I hope the bottle never runs out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't tried Happy Birthday but Claire's Bedazzled is my favorite dupe! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh i'll have to check that out when happy birthday runs out

      Delete
  13. Great comparison! Thanks for swatching!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...