Friday, July 20, 2012

Piet Mondrian

Hey readers!  Today we are going to start with a little background info.

My grandma is 95 years old, but when she was younger she was a nutritionist, housewife, and painter. I remember going into her house as a little kid and seeing all her abstract paintings all the walls that she did in the 60's and 70's, when my mom was a kid.  Her favorite was based on Piet Mondrian, paintings with red, yellow, blue, and white squares, and black lines.  She had a few she did all over her house.  Sometimes I think about those paintings, and I always wanted to try it on my nails.  However I didn't feel like my skills were good enough to.  Recently I purchased a nail art brush (I know, so much time nail blogging I never owned one until recently) from Sally's, and I thought the perfect mani to use my brush for the first time would be this one.

Has anyone seen these paintings before?

One end of the brush is a really nice, generic, sized brush.  A good one to start out with.  On the other end is a reeeaalllly itty bitty dotting tool.  Not sure what I'm going to make with such little dots.

I started by painting my nails white, just like my grandma started with a white canvass.  Then I painted on the boxes and lines in the other colors.






Sorry for the photo spam, but I couldn't stop myself!  This is one of my favorite manis that I have done. 

This is what I used:

Sally Hansen Inst-Dri in Cinna-Snap
Sinful Colors in Unicorn
Love My Nails in White
Revlon Top Speed in Royal
Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in Black Out
My new nail art brush.  Notice the teeny dotting tool at the other end.

I really love how this turned out, I never want to take it off.  When ever I look at my hands I think of my grandma's house and all the time she took into her paintings.

What do you guys think of this art inspired mani?  What other styles should I try with my new brush?

Claws up!

P.s. Don't forget about my giveaway!!!!

10 comments:

  1. That brush looks like it works really great! Your lines are all so straight and clean! I love this kind of art, it's really neat!! Your version looks great! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. I know that painter well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. super cool!

    greetzzz sea tiger ...hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh I love that with your grandma, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! cute mani, great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool, but i think it would look even better if that red was a bit lighter ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute- I love the inspiration behind this mani!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...