Monday, January 14, 2013

DIY Black Spotted

I interrupt your normally scheduled Ciate Mini Mani month to bring you a mani I am super excited about!  I saw this video on Pinterest and I knew I had to try it right away.


This is a new water "marbling" technique that involves dropping some polish in a cup of water, and then spraying it with hand sanitizer spray. You then dip your finger as you normally would with the water marble technique  The end result is this spotted look.  The first thing that came to my mind was the elusive OPI Black Spotted, a polish similar to crackle polishes, but extremely rare and hard to get a hold of.  With this technique, you can achieve the OPI Black Spotted look with just any ole black polish.  I loved recreating the OPI Black Spotted look, but the great part about this is you can make a spotted manicure using any color polish!  In your face OPI!

Photobucket
I decided to layered the black spotted over an orange to yellow neon gradient.  I really wanted to black to contrast against the base polish to get the full effect.  For my "black spotted" I used Lippmann's Edge of Glory Base Color, the black polish that comes in the Edge of Glory polish duo.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here's what I used:

Photobucket
Nina Ultra Pro in Solar Flare
Milani Neon in Techno Red
Deborah Lippmann in Edge of Glory Base Color


This wasn't perfect, but it's pretty damn close!  I love that I can finally rock the black spotted look without committing crimes, and unmentionable favors to get my hands on a bottle of OPI. I can't wait to try this with other colors as well!

What do you think of this DIY version of OPI Black Spotted? Are you going to try this look?

Claws up!

Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a really cool effect!! This would be cool for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks awesome, I'm really thinking about trying it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so effective over your neon gradient :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. perfect!
    i saw this the other day, love it, will definitely try one day :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. In your face OPI! Lmao! These are so gorgeous! I wish my attempt had turned out this amazing! I don't think my sprayer made a fine enough mist to work quite right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice nice, really funky, I'm going to try that next time thanks for sharing =D

    love from the NANA girls xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nails look good!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow love the effect and stunning colours! x

    www.bowtiedbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic! I wanna try this but all I have atm is the gel and foam sanitizer :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool- I didn't know about this! And as it happens, I just shelled out for the Layla bubble effect in black... very similar effect. Love how you did a gradient underneath!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...