Monday, February 15, 2016

A Year of Engagement

Yesterday was Valentine's day. A day to get all decked out in pink and red, and celebrate love. A day to take an extra moment to tell all the ones you love how special they are in your live. For Ben and I, it also marks the one year anniversary of our engagement.

Last year, on Valentine's day, Ben took me to dinner at Lady Gaga's restaurant and to see Aladdin on Broadway to celebrate. On the way to dinner, we took a short walk through central park, and he got down on one knee and popped the question.

I knew it was going to happen.

SAM_2780



A few months earlier, Ben and were just hanging out at home about a week before I was going to be traveling to Texas to visit family for the holidays. I was looking at engagement rings online because I'm crazy just dropping subtle hints. I told Ben what I liked and what I wanted in a ring. This was not the first time doing this, and in the past Ben would just tease me and call me crazy. This time was different. He told me to make a Pinterest board with all the rings I liked, and what I liked about each one. I knew then and there he was planning to pop the question.

About a week later, the day before I my trip to Texas, Ben and I were looking at the rings I had saved. He grabbed my left ring finger and said "size 4, right?" That is when I knew he was going to be buying my ring when I was away.

While visiting family, it was hard for Ben and I to find the time to talk on the phone everyday, but we always were able to make it work for a 10 minute check in. One morning he had texted me that he was going out to pick up a few things. How vague. I knew what he was doing.

I am so mean.

I called him not too long after for our usual check in. He was acting nervous and was rushing me off the phone. But because I knew what he was doing, I decided to have some fun. I kept talking to him, and telling him that this was the only time all day we could talk, but he kept saying he had to go.

"Ben you are just running errands, why can't we talk now?"

I told you I am mean.

IMG_0846

Ben is an amazing guy, but he is not the most creative person when it comes to romance. When I knew he got the ring, I also knew that Valentine's day was going to be the big day. After being with someone for 6 years, you pretty much know how their brain works.

Since I am originally from New York, we spent Valentine's day weekend there visiting friends and family, and we had made plans for the night to celebrate together. I woke up knowing that this was going to be the day. I made plans with friends and my dad to keep up appearances, but I knew what was going to happen that night. I actually felt a little guilty. This was going to be a big day for us, but I was spending it away from him.

I even made sure to paint my nails extra nice because I knew my fingers would be getting a lot of attention.

SAM_2753

We got all dressed up on Saturday night. Ben wasn't acting like himself, and neither was I. I knew why he was being weird. And because I knew, I kept asking if he was doing ok. I like to watch him squirm. I, on the other hand, was just overly excited.

We made our way to the city and got a cab to the restaurant. We got out of the cab and we were right next to central park. Ben asked me if I wanted to take a walk through the park before we headed over to dinner.

Let's take a break from the story for a second. Remember this is Valentine's day. The middle of February. It was freezing outside and snowing!

Under any other circumstances, I would have said no. We were already late for our dinner reservations, it was freezing and snowing. We were on a big hill, and I was wearing heels.

Remember how I said I am mean? Well I'm not that mean.

View More: http://nicolebarrphoto.pass.us/jacben

Sometimes I like to think about the "what ifs". What if I really had no clue what was about to happen? I would have turned down the invitation to walk in the park. What if I had said no to the stroll? In reality, nothing would have turned out differently. Ben would have made me take the walk, and he would have proposed, just like it had happened.

In the end, it was actually a good thing that I knew all along.

sign off

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...