Monday, February 22, 2016

The REAL Difference Between Thin Shaming and Fat Shaming

I recently read a post on why fat shaming and thin shaming are different, and I was really bothered by it. In the end, the message of the article is that we should stop body shaming everyone. However, it pointed out a difference between thin shaming and fat shaming.

YOU ARE SIMPLY THE

"When it comes to thin shaming, the sufferers usually walk away with their thin privilege in tact. They'll step aside from an insult and into a society and media that celebrate their body."

To me, this whole article was a big slap in the face to thin people. It said that fat people have a reason to be affected by body shaming, but thin people don't.

Thin shaming is all around us, but unlike fat shaming, no one stands up against it. Meghan Trainor said in her song "Boys like a little more booty to hold at night". Statements like "real women have curves" are all over the internet. Words like "anorexic" and "bulimic" are being thrown around as insults.

These are serious disorders, not to be taken lightly!

"Although that doesn't mean the insult doesn't hurt, it does means the insult doesn't usually stick in the same way."

Excuse me? Who are you to tell me that insults don't stick around with me. I have been told that I am so small that I don't even count as a person, and I have heard things like that my whole life.

I am being dehumanized. 

Fat people are dehumanized all the time, but you want to tell me that doesn't hurt me as much as when it's done to a fat person? People make fun of the size of my clothes, and have literally laughed in my face about it.

Just because I'm small, people think my problems don't matter as much.

I know that most people that read this are going to disagree with me. I know that I am in the minority with my opinion, but I had to get this off my chest. If you are going to fight against body shaming, do it for everyone. Don't thin shame to make yourself feel better. And don't dismiss thin people's feelings. Just because someone is thin, doesn't mean they are affected any differently by an insult.

Have you even been body shamed? Do you think there is a difference between thin and fat shaming?

sign off

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...