Wednesday, August 31, 2016

On My Way to a 5k: Prepare to Glow

I mentioned a little while ago that Ben and I have been running for almost a year now. A few months ago, I decided that I wanted to run my first 5k! For the past few weeks, Ben and I have been training, and we have been running 5ks after work once a week. I am trying to shorten my time and my goal is to be under 40 minutes.

Since I am new to running, and with my busy schedule I don't have as much time as I'd like to get better, I knew for my first 5k I wanted it to be a fun run. I needed something relaxed and not competitive so I would feel comfortable taking walk breaks, which I still need a lot of.

After searching online, Ben and I took the plunge and signed up for the Glow Run in Herndon,VA. Before the race there is a pre-run party where they will be handing out prizes for the glowiest costumes. I'm pretty sure that is a word, yes. I already knew I wanted to dress up for my first 5k, but now I knew I needed to go all out.

What to wear to a glow run


For the race, I picked up all the neon essentials: socks, a bandanna, face paint, and a tutu. I also got some neon fabric paint to make some fun 5k t-shirts for Ben and I, plus way too many glow sticks.

Is there such thing as too many glow sticks?

Scratch that, I didn't get enough glow sticks!

I hot glued a bunch of glow sticks under the neon pieces of the tutu so that as the sun went down it would glow.

What to wear to a glow run

What to wear to a glow run

What to wear to a glow run

For my shirt, I painted on some girly stuff like flowers, and a butterfly. For Ben, I wanted to show off his love of space, which is perfect for a night time run!

What to wear to a glow run

What to wear to a glow run

What to wear to a glow run

What to wear to a glow run

I am both excited and scared for the 5k. I can't wait to get dressed up and hang out with other runners. However, I am still really bad at running. I get tired and winded pretty quickly, and I want to push myself to reach my goal. I want to make sure I find the right balance of fun and focus!

Have you run a 5k before? What would you wear to a glow run?

Claws Up Lifestyle blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...